- The Union Cabinet has approved promulgation of an Ordinance to provide death penalty for rapists of girls below 12 years.
- The Criminal Law (Amendment) Ordinance provides for stringent punishment of a jail term of minimum 20 years or life imprisonment or death for rape of a girl under 12 years.
- In the case of a gang rape of a girl below 12 years, there will be a punishment of life in jail or a death sentence.
- For the crime of a rape of a girl under 16 years, minimum punishment has been increased from 10 years to 20 years, which is expandable to imprisonment for rest of life.
- Minimum punishment in case of rape of women has also been increased from rigorous imprisonment of 7 years to 10 years, extendable to life imprisonment.
- The Ordinance also provides for speedy investigation and trial which needs to be compulsorily completed within two months.
There will also be no provision for anticipatory bail for a person accused of rape or gang rape of a girl under 16 years.